Saturday, August 12, 2017

#RPGaDay 2017 Day 8: What is a Good RPG to Play for Session 2 Hours or Less



#RPGaDay 2017 Day 8: What is a Good RPG to Play for Session 2 Hours or Less?

Puppetland would be an obvious answer. The First Rule: An hour is golden, but it is not an hour:
A tale of PUPPETLAND can last no more than an hour. The caveat is that Puppetland is hardly widely played. So let's skip that as an edge case.

There are two circumstances where I like to have short sessions. The first is for comedy games like Toon.

This is a fun game, just ask Gaw, Bob Dole and the armadillo with a Winnebago, but I wouldn't want to spend all day playing it. Brevity = wit and that goes double for dedicated comedy games. All that absurdity gets exhausting after a while. Two hours is just about right for Toon.

The other time I like to run short sessions is right before the campaign begins. I don't always get the opportunity, but I like to meet with players one on one to get a feel for how the characters will act in actual play. We have a brief adventure or just a slice of life session and that tends to work out well for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment