Saturday, April 2, 2016

2: Roger Zelazny Quote of the Day: I find my position somewhat awkward





"I find my position somewhat awkward, Merytha," Dilvish observed, "being guest to a vampire lord I've cuckolded. I don't quite know what one says on these occasions." 

The Context:  Dilvish is in the process of rescuing Merytha,  and he realizes somewhat belatedly that she's a vampire. Her husband now approaches their room.

Why I like it:  Dilvish the Damned was always a bit of an odd duck. Zelazny's rather deliberate style is at odds with the gonzo make-it-up-as-you-go-along-because-we've-got-a-deadline writing of the pulps. Even Moorcock's Elric, as cultured and intellectual a pulp hero protagonist as you'll ever find is written in such a way. The thing I admire about Zelazny is how he wrote Dilvish his way and still made it work, leading to moments of droll wit such as the line about. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment