Friday, April 15, 2016

14: Roger Zelazny Quote of the Day: All patience...





"Yet all patience is but an imitation of my ways, and even in the highest realms I am not unknown."

Dubhe sprang to his shoulder and settled there as Death rose up out of the trench.

"I believe that someone has just begun a game," Death said as he headed across Deep Fields through a meadow of blackest grass, black poppies swaying at the passage of his cloak, "and, next to music, they have invoked a pastime for which I have the highest regard. It is long, Dubhe, since I have been given a good game. I shall respond to their opening as none might expect, and we will try each others' patience. Then, one day, they will learn that I am always in the right place at the proper time."

The Context: Intruders have stolen something from Death's realm of Deep Fields, and Death has vowed to best these intruders.

Why I like it: Donnerjack is the red-headed stepchild of latter day Zelazny, but I like it a lot. That's not an unpopular opinion; as far as I know, I'm the only person online who has any opinion of any kind on Donnerjack. I think if were renewing it now, I'd rank it lower than I did initially, but it's fun story with an epic scope, and I really feel that Lindskold captured Zelazny's voice when she completed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment