Sunday, October 25, 2015

A Day in the Lonesome October-fest, October 24

The continuing account of reading A Night in the Lonesome October with an nine-year-old, out loud and during the day.


October 24

Lily called this chapter "action packed". She was still worried about Lynette, but she agreed with Larry's reasoning that it was better to rescue her closer to Halloween.

The chapter had a lot words that I thought she might not know, so I was regularly stopping the narrative to interject with definitions. Port wine (didn't know it but was able to get it from context), incandescence (knew it already), torque (new word, I defined it for her as rotating around a fixed point),  fluoresced (I knew she knew it because she defined it for the tour guide when we went on a tour of Lost River Caverns last weekend), ubiquitous ("everywhere", also noteworthy because I first began employing it after reading it in the ADRPG, though I initially thought it began with an "ooo" sound and not a "you" one), and tableau ("in this context, it means the scene"), feinted (had to clarify that Snuff was faking out the monster and not looking for the fainting couch), sherry (got it from context, figured it had to be another wine if they were drinking it in lieu of the port) and manumission ("The act of freeing from servitude").

I also filled her in on the background of the poem Snuff references as the the Things burn. 

A good chapter. Action packed, informative and funny ("What I'm wondering most, though, is what you're going to do with them now." Hm," he said, toying with his glass. "It's rather far to the river." I nodded vigorously.) What more could you want?


No comments:

Post a Comment