Friday, October 9, 2015

A Day in the Lonesome October-fest, October 9



The continuing account of reading A Night in the Lonesome October with an nine-year-old, out loud and during the day.




October 9

Lily didn’t really have much of an opinion on this chapter. Neither liked it nor disliked it. I tried to tell her how clever the "Something's afoot, I daresay” line was, and she seemed barely able to restrain herself from rolling her eyes.

I thought she’d be excited about the revelation of Larry Talbot’s identity, since she'd been so curious yesterday but that didn’t really do it for her, either.

2 comments:

  1. If she's disappointed now, just wait until the Dreamlands!

    (For the record, Lonesome October is probably my favorite book of all time. But man, those Dreamlands. Oof.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. I mentioned this project to another friend who is also a fan of the book and, knowing that we're reading it in the morning before I leave for work and Lily leaves for school, said "You better call her out of school on the 22nd."

      I think she just may surprise us. Free verse poetry *and* jokes in Latin?! Little kids love that stuff!

      Delete