Friday, July 23, 2010

Josh's clearinghouse

Time to make a post by jamming together the random stuff that never coalesced into discrete posts of their own. The scrapple school of blogging theory, as it were.

Work is tense lately. For the fifth time this quarter, we've had a lengthy meeting about a new process or technology that will revolutionize the way we do business, followed by a much shorter meeting where the idea is quietly abandoned.

I was unfriended by someone on Facebook. That happens from time to time. I log off with 160 friends and log back in with 159. Then I try to do the process of elimination thing to figure out who dropped me. Just when I have it figured out, a nagging voice says, "Maybe he dropped you before and you just didn't notice."

My Grammy stopped by to give us a vegetable tray out of the blue(as has no doubt happened to all of you reading this) and while she was there, Lily threw me a beaded necklace. I said, "Thanks. I feel like I'm at Mardi Gras" and my Grammy absolutely cracked up. I was expecting it to go right over her head, but on reflection, it's not like Mardi Gras is an obscure phenomenon, and she wasn't always old.

When I was putting Lily to bed, she asked "What's Mister Tim to me? Is he my grandpa?" I tried explaining that he wasn't part of our family, but that made her very said. She said that he should marry Grammy Kathy, and then he could be part of our family.

And you know, I don't even know how this thing got to be a running joke around here, but even Lily's getting into it. I wonder if I'll have to call him dad.

Speaking of running gags, Karen loves giraffes.

When Jen and I go married, our wedding invitations had a pair of frogs dressed up like a bride and a groom. For YEARS, my family thought this meant Jen loved frogs (she doesn't. She started off neutral on frogs, merely thinking that the image on the invites was cute, and slowly grew to dislike them as the years went on and the gifts mounted) and would buy her every tacky frog knickknack they came across. It is now my mission in life to convince people that Karen loves giraffes. At the very least, it will become one of the running gags of my blog, right up there with my mom kisses all my friends, House is stupid (he is) and Firefly sucks (it does).

We watched Pooh's Heffalump Movie this Wacky Wednesday. Lily got really into it. Jen cried at the end. The whole thing reminds me of a Belle & Sebastian song.

Oh, I'll settle down with some old story
About a boy who's just like me
Thought there was love in everything and everyone
You're so naive!
After a while they always get it
They always reach a sorry end
Still it was worth it as I turned the pages solemnly, and then
With a winning smile, the boy
With naivety succeeds
At the final moment, I cried
I always cry at endings

Lily's still young enough to be surprised by a happy ending and Jen's there to cry at them. What's my job? I dunno. Hold the box of tissues? I could do worse than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment