Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Camping!

On Saturday, we went camping in the back yard of a friend of Jen's. The two of them grew up together and they've been friends forever. She has a daughter a couple years older than Lily and a son a few months older and Lily adores both of them.

We'd been planning this camping trip for a while now. There was some sort of American Girls promotion going on, and I guess they were tracking the number of people who camped out on the 26th, so that's when we had it. The whole thing went extremely well. I got home around ten in the morning after my night out with Frederick and dozed on and off during the day. We got there around 5:30 and the whole thing couldn't have gone better. Lily ran around and played with the other kids and had a ball.

After sunset, we roasted hot dogs (Jen sent me to the car for her roasting fork, and apparently it's somehow inappropriate for me to yell in a Jerry Lewis voice, "Hey Lady, here's your wiener stick!" in front of a bunch of kids) and marshmallows and did the whole camp out thing. Lily occasionally tells me that she hates us and that she doesn't want to live in our house any more, but man, did she have a good time on this camping trip. Entirely by coincidence, there were fireworks at night and hot air balloons in the morning. We could not have picked a better weekend for this trip.

One of the local kitties was rubbing against the outside of the tent, and against Lily, who had migrated across the tent in her sleep. She semi-consciously mumbled "Knock it off!" and I said that the cat didn't know any better. Against my expectations, Lily settled down and said "I don't care if a cat bothers me. I only mind if mommy and daddy bother me."

And you know, I don't even know if that's a good thing or not. Welcome to parenthood!

No comments:

Post a Comment